Yep Chocolate isn't good for Dog's.. But Why?

Easter Toxic foods

As that time of the year rolls on by again, you know, the one where that Bunny comes and leaves us lots of yummy Chocolate, you might start to wonder about Chocolate and your four legged friends. Most of us have heard by now that Chocolate isn't good for Dog's but it's always good to know why and what to look out for if your pup accidently indulges!

Yes Chocolate is Toxic to Dogs, Chocolate contains a chemical called Theobromine and Caffeine both are stimulants naturally found in the Cocoa Bean. Theobromine is Toxic to dogs as they are unable to metabolize it as quickly as us humans can. Caffeine whilst also Toxic is present in much smaller concentrations. Both of these chemicals are used medicinally as a diuretic, smooth muscle relaxant, heart stimulant and vessel dilator and as Dogs cannot metabolize them as efficiently as Humans they are more sensitive to the effects.

Signs of poisoning can include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased Thirst
  • Panting or restlessness
  • Excessive urination
  • Rapid heart rate

Clinical signs of Chocolate poisoning can take several hours to develop so it's important if your Dog has ingested any Chocolate to contact your Vet or Animal Poisons Helpline and establish if a Toxic amount was ingested. Although rarely fatal, the severity of illness will depend on your dogs current health, any underlying health condition's and age and how much Chocolate they consumed.

So remember this Easter to leave the Egg Hunting to the Kiddies!

**Easter Hunt Tip, Use empty plastic eggs for the kids to find around the house and garden, then when they have found them all they can swap for the real stuff!

Animal Poisons Helpline: 1300 869 738

Source: Animal poisons helpline, vcahospitals, animal emergency services.

Older Post